Do you ever get tired of spending so much money on shampoos that promise you radiant, full luscious hair, but don't work, all they do is weigh your hair down. You know that squeaky sound when you rinse your hair?
Most people think that it a sign of really squeaky clean hair, but no...that is the sound of your hair being stripped of all it's natural oils. Try your hand at making your own shampoo with essential oils, to improve your hair and scalp, combat dandruff and prevent head lice!
Make Your Own Aromatherapy Shampoos
Essentail oil shampoos do not foam like regular shampoos, so you may prefer to use them as a pre-wash treatment which involves rubbing the oils into dry hair and wrapping your head in a towel for an hour before rinsing.
To use oils in the washing process, wet your hair and massage over the scalp. Leave for an hour, then shampoo and rinse. If you use it a few times a week, you will see beautiful results.
Which Carrier Product Should You Use?
Carrier Oils~Light base oils such as peach kernel or jojoba are ideal. Wheatgerm is also good for conditioning hair.
Water Rinse~Essential oils can be added to the water you use to rinse your hair, rather than adding it the shampoo beforehand.
Store Bought Products~Add essential oils to combat scalp conditions to your regular shampoo ie. rosemary oil to treat dandruff. The best shampoos to use as a carrier product are those labeled with a mild ph. The oils should be added at a ration of six drops to 1/4 cup of shampoo.
Do not add the following oils to commercial shampoo, as they may react negatively:
For Clean and Healthy Hair~This recipe can be used on all hair types:
- 1 pt clean water
- 5 drops geranium
- 5 drops pettigrain
- 5 drops rosemary
1. Blend the oils together in a jug and stir before pouring onto wet hair.
2. Massage into the scalp and hair and leave for five minutes.
3. Rinse hair thoroughly until all the oil residue has been removed.
If your hair is oil, try the following blend:
- 1 pt water
- 5 drops bergamot
- 5 drops frankincense
- 5 drops rosemary
After making this blend, massage your scalp with the oils to stimulate blood circulation and improve your hair and scalps condition:
1. Pick from the following categories to match your hair's condition and follow the steps outlined.
2. Massage the blend into your scalp.
3. Wrap your hair in a warm towel for at least one hour before rinsing out the blend thoroughly.
4. Now wash as normal to keep your hair from remaining oily.
- 1/4 cup slightly warm coconut oil
- 5 drops lemongrass oil
- 25 drops tea tree oil
Reduce Hair Loss:
- 1/4 cup slightly warmed extra virgin olive oil
- 10-12 drops lavender oil
Improve Oily Hair:
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 10-12 drops rosemary oil
Treat Head Lice:
- 2 tbsp water and 6 tbsp Vodka ( not to drink lol)
- 1 tsp lavender oil
- 1 tsp tea tree oil
Comb through with a fine-toothed comb and repeat every three days until the condition clears up.