The Power of Labradorite
The American philosopher and poet Ralph Waldo Emerson said of this stone, "A man is like a bit of labradorite spar, which has no luster as you turn it in your hand until you come to a particular Angle; then it shows deep and beautiful colors".
Indeed, labradorite's blue sheen, named "labradorescence", makes it one of the most attractive crystals.
Glimmers of green, red, and yellow may also be seen in some specimens, making labradorite a very attractive rainbow stone.
Labradorite can be blue-grey with black flecks or white in color, with both forms showing a beautiful blue sheen. Labradorite is associated with myths and deities that contain rainbows, such as the Greek iris, goddess of the rainbow, and the Bifrost Bridge, which linked a realm of the Norse Gods to Earth.
How Labradorite Got It's Name
Labradorite was named in 1770 when it was discovered in Labrador by missionaries. As is often the case, however, it had been used earlier. The mysterious Red Paint People of Main were using it before 1000BC and Pliny the Elder describes it in his writings.
Labradorite is also known as both labrador spar and labrador, while the particularly bright variety found in Finland is called spectrolite.
When a specimen shows green labradorescence, it is know as lynx sapphire. White pieces are often sold under the trade name of rainbow moonstone, despite not actually being moonstone, while transparent specimens of labradorite are often referred to as black moonstone.
How To Use Your Labradorite
For Protection~You can use labradorite to combat the problem of jealousy, which his common in most environments and groups of people. Use a stone to help the negativity bounce off you and protect you from distress. It is easily available in items of jewelry, which make excellent protective amulets.
- When you are in your own space sing this piece of verse, "strong and happy, true and free, your jealousy will not touch me", and feel the energy that builds up as you sing, empowering your piece of labradorite.
- Whenever you feel the negativity of jealousy near you, concentrate on a piece of labradorite and feel the stone's protective energy surrounding you like a force field, keeping you untouched by negative energy.
For Strengthening~Astral projection is a difficult skill to master, and it takes much practice before you will become competent at it. Labradorite can help you to master this process before you will become competent at it. Labradorite can help you to master this process by helping you strengthen your energy body (aura).
- Hold a piece of labradorite or wear a piece of labradortie jewelry whenever you are working on your chakras, develop a link between your energy and the stone.
- When you decide you want to try astral projection, the stone will act as a battery to help give you the energy and confidence to master the process. It will still take a lot of practice though!
For Magical Growth
Labradorite has many uses as a magical aid. A magic circle, within which spells can be cast, is often visualized as blue. Blue is also the color associated with the throat Chakra, which is in turn associated with magical power and dreaming.
- A labradorite pendant worn around the neck can be useful in keeping the energies of the throat Chakra in balance and harmony.
- When doing spells that involve singing or projecting your voice, wear your labradorite to help balance and amplify the energies you raise. This will help to strengthen the spell itself.
- If you wear your pendant in public, be careful not to let anyone touch it. Eager hands may de-charge your stone in their desire to touch fascinating color around your neck.
Labradorite For Dream Recall
Labradorite is one of the best stones to use for dream recall. It can be seen as a "rainbow bridge" between the conscious and unconscious mind, helping your remember dream details.
- Wear the labradorite or keep it under your pillow when you go to sleep, and when you wake hold it in your hand as you try to recall your dreams.
- If you find yourself waking up in the night remembering your dreams, your labradorite might be having too powerful an effect on your sleep. Keep it under the pillow rather than wearing it or if it was under the pillow, move it to a dresser less close to you.